Sunday, January 12, 2014

][ gratuitous sock pictures ahead


Behold! Socks!

Wellp, my first pair of socks is my first finished project of 2014! I'm pretty thrilled. A week and a half doesn't seem bad for my first socks, and I'm reasonably sure I could do the next pair quicker, if they're not too much fancier.


Taking pictures of your own feet: surprisingly hard.

I'm not 100% on this toe construction-- I think next time I'll try the magic cast-on and increase up instead of doing a short-row kind of thing-- but for now I will proudly and cozily wear these. Around the house, at least. It might take me a while to work up the courage to risk them out in the real world.



Quarter for size reference, obviously

Above are my leftovers. I could have cut it a bit closer and done another half-round, I think, but this was my first time doing a sewn bindoff and I wanted to make sure I had plenty left over. This is also after taking a few inches to reinforce the edge of the heel where there was a bit of a gap between the tube part and the heel section-- it looks just dandy now, and I can't feel the extra yarn at all.

I'm a little worried about these wearing out-- a lot of reviews on this yarn said it's prone to felting and falling apart, and it does feel a little more loosely spun than I expected a sock yarn to be-- but I'll live with it one way or another. What I can say for sure is that these are super cozy, and really, really warm. Also, the cat loves them.

After finishing them I milled about lost for a little while, but decided to cast on a silly little something...


You know you covet my bees.

These will someday or other be a pair of long fingerless gloves; I'm winging it, but I plan to use what I learned from making my BFF's Link Gauntlets to shape the thumb gusset and fingertips and all that jazz.

They'll have a similar set of stripes up at the wrist, I think, and if I feel really ambitious maybe a ring around each finger, but that's probably more than I have the patience for. I'd like to put a little embroidery on one hand or both hands, but I don't know what.

At any rate, it'll keep me busy for a bit until I make some decisions about what I really want to be knitting now!

I'd start more socks, but I don't have that much sock yarn stashed, and most of it is earmarked for particular stuff that I don't feel up to beginning yet. I'm toying with cracking out some pastel rainbow stuff when the Olympics roll around, because even though I don't care in the least about the whole knitting games ordeal, I do like some of the protest stuff cropping up and also it seems like a good excuse to knit rainbow socks as fast as I can. '

I've also still got that big bulky yarn that wants to be a hat (I just don't know what hat it wants to be) and a kit to knit myself a complicated colorwork sweater, which was a lovely ecksmuss gift. (I sort of did a gauge swatch for that, but haven't measured it yet.)

Anyway, for now my work is cut out for me.

PS: SOCKS!!!!!!!


Couldn't resist. Sorry kittens.


















No comments:

Post a Comment