Friday, January 3, 2014

][ I may have miscalculated here…

One funny little side effect of all that ecksmuss knitting was that I had nothing to knit after. Nothing. The only thing left on the needles was my Doom Blanket, and that’s almost more of a t-shirt-cutting project than knitting, really. I wasn’t in the mood and it doesn’t really travel at this point.

I worked up one last gift over the post-ecksmuss weekend (it’s a bit naughty so I won’t link), but then I had nothing. No knitting! That is so not me.

I toyed with a few ideas but couldn’t decide, so I took a knitting break of a couple of days. When the New Year dawned, though, I woke up with a sense of purpose, wound a skein, and decided to start 2014 with my first proper pair of socks.


Universal toe-up pattern and KnitPicks Imagination in Wicked Witch.

I got down to the narrowest bit of the short-rows on Wednesday, and between my lunch break and commute, back to the widest bit Thursday, and picked up all the stitches. Now I’m at the easy bit, for now-- knitting round and round a while until it becomes time to face the heel.

But I promised a mistake, right? That’s what you’re here for.

While I was still ruminating on the right post-Ecksmuss project, I seriously flirted with the idea of knitting a big slouchy hat of the bulky, delightful wool I’d bought at Flying Fingers’ Black Friday sale. See, what you may not know about me (or perhaps you do) is that I have many fabulous hats. Many deeply fabulous hats, but very few warm winter hats. A big hat knit with big yarn on big needles would go a lot faster than a tiny fiddly pair of socks, so I’d probably have a hat where now I only have toes. And a big woolly hat of my own devising would be a seriously useful thing if it got cold.


Pretty, but not great to walk around in.

It got cold.

Maybe I should knit myself some gloves…

No comments:

Post a Comment