Friday, June 3, 2011

][ doll stuff

A year or two ago, I was inspired to dig out my old American Girl dolls and make some stuff for 'em.  It led to a brief but intense frenzy of sewing, and a passionate interest in doll customization that went nowhere.  Thankfully, I didn't spend too much money on it.  Mostly. 

The one custom doll I put together wasn't an actual brand-name AG, but instead a craft-store knockoff... and true to my dorky ways I decided to turn her into a character from one of my favorite movies.  Knitting an awesome little wardrobe followed suit, of course. 

So here is my doll version of Neil Perry from Dead Poets Society, with a few knit pieces: his green sweater, his school uniform sweater, and a school scarf I designed for kicks. 






The body of these sweaters is knit in one piece, then seamed down the sides when the sleeves are added in. The back is split halfway down to allow it to fit over the head, and a hook-and-eye is stitched in on the top.  I’ve been knitting my sleeves two at a time lately (like one would do with socks,) so assuming you can take the utter BOREDOM of stockinette forever, these come together pretty quick!






The bordering and contrast color in the collar of the grey one is picked up off the edges.  I've also knit a blue round-neck, and a school sweatervest that aren't pictured.  These take... gosh, less than a quarter of a skein I'd say. 

The scarf isn't accurate to the film, but I wanted to make it anyway.  Actually, this was my first piece of colorwork-- not that it's much!-- so I am kind of weirdly proud of it.   Before this, the best I'd done was striped scarves.  Otherwise, it's just a tube, with fringe knotted onto the ends.







And that's my doll knitting.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment