Friday, June 3, 2011

][ reality knits

I've been working on this scarf a long while now, and it's not... really even close to being done, to be honest.  But that's okay!

I started it because I was really taken with a particular shirt on an actor, in a movie, and I thought to myself, there's no way I will ever find a shirt like a random shirt in a fifteen year old movie.  But, I can definitely knit myself something like it.  (And, as a side note-- since I started this I have seen brown/blue self-striping yarn combinations everywhere.  I'm clearly a trendestter.)

This was my second real attempt at color work, after putting the W onto that doll scarf.  A nice, gradual increase in difficulty.  It's also the first time I've done short rows (to compensate for any change in the gauge; I wanted to make sure the edging didn't pull,) and now that I've finally learned how they work, I'm in love with them. 

For once in my life I at least did some swatches before I got started:



My cat helped.





Satisfied that I could manage the color changes, I decided to complicate things by starting it with a provisional cast-on, so the brown border could be added last, to keep the gauge even-- the last time I tried to mix garter and stockinette like this, the edging hadn't quite worked out evenly.






This turned out to be a disastrously bad idea.  Which sucked, because I really liked how it was going...



I twisted after every stitch, like you would with Tvåändsstickning-- I didn't want big swags on the back that would catch on buttons and such.  It's a little thicker and warmer because of it, and I think it looks pretty cool!


The cat is still helping, of course.


Somewhere around that time I decided I'd better pick out the cast-on and add the border, just in case it didn't work out.

It didn't work out.  So I frogged the whole damn thing and started over from the beginning.



It broke my heart to do it-- I'd accomplished so much!-- but it was the right decision, and though there are still some imperfections, I'm much happier with the new take on it.   I have no idea when I'll finish it, but eventually I'm sure I will.  And then I will wear it everywhere, baby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment